Available Paintings on Etsy

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Painting 7, "Knut," the Samoyed Puppy painting in oil by Lara Harris


Painting 7,"Knut," 5"x 7",oil on canvas panel (SOLD)
photo reference: Heather Caird
(Flickr id:heather bean)
10% of the proceeds will go directly to Almost Heaven Golden Retriever Rescue

This is an original oil painting of Knut, an adorable Samoyed puppy owned by Heather Caird (Flickr id heather bean). It is my 7th painting for my Painting a Pup a Day project. Painting dogs that are white, like little Knut, can certainly be a challenge because you have to train your eye to see colors in the shadows of the fur, you cannot simply paint him all white. Here I've used a combination of creams, greys, and muted blues to develop the shadows and shape of Knut, with a background in darker shades of blue to compliment the shadows. Overall I am really pleased with how he has turned out! This is what Heather shared about her sweet Knut:

My name is Heather and my puppy's name is Knut (with a silent K). He's only 13 weeks old, he's 12 weeks on the picture I've added to the group. My boyfriend and I have been after a Samoyed pup for about 18 months and he surprised me with one for Christmas! I had to drive all the way up to Scotland to pick him up and it took me 6 hours to get there but he's totally worth it!
I've already taught him to sit, give a high five, lay down and stand up. This week we're learning how to roll over :) We also have a pet tortoise called Rocky and Knut doesn't seem to like the smell of him!!



If you would like your pet to be included in my Painting a Pup a Day project,email....and if you would like your pet done sooner rather than later, be sure to ask to be placed on my waiting list!

No comments:

Post a Comment